I was interviewed for the Hear this Idea podcast by Fin Moorhouse and Luca Righetti. We had a long, fun, in-depth conversation.
In our conversation, we discuss:
- What progress is, and why it matters (maybe more than you think)
- How to think about resource constraints — why they are sometimes both real and surmountable
- The ‘low-hanging fruit’ explanation for stagnation, and prospects for speeding up innovation
- Tradeoffs between progress and (existential) safety
- Differences between the Progress Studies and Effective Altruism communities